A felon on parole wanted for robbery was arrested overnight in Evansville.
The Evansville VIPER Unit arrested 20-year-old Shane James overnight Thursday at the Buena Vista Apartments and transported him to the Vanderburgh County Jail.
Officers attempted to conduct a traffic stop near St. Joe and Maryland around 4:30 Tuesday afternoon. James ran from the vehicle and was able to evade police arrest.
Authorities say he tossed a gun while running during the traffic stop.
The handgun was later recovered by authorities.
James served 1.5 years in prison on a robbery charge before being paroled in late December of 2019.
He now faces the following charges:
- Resisting Law Enforcement as a Class A Misdemeanor,
- Possession Firearm by a Serious Violent Felon as a Level 4 Felony
- Possession of an Altered Handgun as a Level 5 Felony
- Possession of a Handgun Without a License as a Class A Misdemeanor
- Possession of a Synthetic Drug Greater than 5 Grams as a Level 6 Felony
- Parole Violation Warrant
Anyone with information concerning this incident is asked to call the Evansville Police Detective Office (812) 436-7979 or the tip line (812) 435-6194.