Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan has announced the top 10 list of consumer complaints for 2017. Since taking office in 2003, Madigan’s office has mediated nearly 400,000 formal complaints from consumers across Illinois, fielded hundreds of calls and inquiries every year and recovered billions in direct relief to Illinois consumers through litigation and mediation.
Last year, Madigan’s office received 24,669 complaints, and identity theft ranked number one for the first time in 10 years, with 2,511 complaints. Part of this is due to the data breach by Equifax, one of the largest credit reporting agencies that compromised information for nearly 148 million Americans.
Education-related complaints made the list at number two on the list with 2,399 complaints, reflecting on the country’s student loan crisis.
In 2017, Madigan’s Consumer Fraud Bureau returned more than $46 million in savings through litigation and mediation to consumers.
Top 10 Consumer Complaints:
1. Identity Theft (credit cards, data breaches, utilities, government document fraud) – 2,511
2. Education (student loan debt, loan counseling, for-profit schools) – 2,399
3. Consumer Debt (collection agencies, mortgages, banks) – 2,395
4. Construction/Home Improvement (remodeling, roofs and gutters, heating and cooling, plumbing) – 2,113
5. Telecommunications (cable and satellite TV, telemarketing, cell phones, phone service and repairs) – 2,031
6. Promotions/Schemes (phone scams, lottery scams, investment schemes, phishing) – 2,004
7. Used Auto Sales (as-is used cars, financing, advertising, warranties) – 1,728
8. Internet/Mail Order Products (internet and catalog purchases, TV and radio advertising) – 1,071
9. Motor Vehicle/Non-Warranty Repair (collision, engines, oil changes and tune-ups) – 656
10. New Auto Sales (financing, defects, advertising) – 629
For more information, visit Madigan’s website. or contact her office about consumer fraud issues.
Identity Theft Unit: 1-866-999-5630 (TTY: 1-877-844-5461)
Student Loan Helpline: 1-800-455-2456
Homeowner Helpline: 1-866-544-7151
Consumer Fraud Hotlines: 1-800-386-5438 (Chicago), 1-800-243-0618 (Springfield) or 1-800-243-0607 (Carbondale)
Spanish Language Hotline: 1-866-310-8398